Hi. If you work in Windows, there are some keyboard shortcuts that can really make your life easier. I’ve written about them before but I think it’s worth looking at them again. I think they really are killer!
These shortcuts use the ‘windows’ key — on most PCs, it’s between the ctrl and alt key on the lower left of your keyboard. Depending on your computer, your windows key might be somewhere else on your keyboard and, if you’re lucky, you might have two of them! I’ll call it the ‘winkey’, ok? ok! let’s go….
- When you have a bunch of windows open and you want to get back to the desktop, you have to minimize each window (or close them). No more! Press winkey-m to minimize all of the windows at once.
- winkey-d minimizes the windows, just like winkey-m, except that you can press winkey-d again and the windows will return to their previous state. Think of winkey-d as a toggle to minimize and then return your open windows.
- You can open My Computer to see your mapped drives and other devices by pressing winkey-e.
- To lock your computer and return to the logon screen, press winkey-l.
- You can quickly get to the run dialog by pressing winkey-r.
- And, of course, pressing the winkey alone is just like clicking the start button on your PC.
I use these all the time. I hope they are useful for you too!