Hi! If you have an iPod, you have iTunes. Yeah, it’s very cool (I have an iTouch); I want to talk about podcasts today, independent of the iPod.
Yes, you can use itunes from Apple for free to play music and listen to and view podcasts.
First, for those of you who don’t know, a podcast is a free video or audio series that you can download from iTunes and play on your computer or iPod. We’re talking ‘free’. OK? OK!
iTunes is Apple’s really cool software program that manages the multimedia files on your computer, usually for your iPod. Whatever is in your iTunes library gets put on your iPod so you can take it with you. Music, movies, photos, contacts, apps… all of it. You can get iTunes from Apple for free: go here to get it, if you don’t already have it on your computer. (and it works on Apples and PCs!).
Podcasts are awesome for getting information and for training. I use podcasts for learning photoshop, lightroom, and other Adobe products. I’ve downloaded podcasts that were guided tours for museums, lectures on public policy issues, and new info on blackberry devices.
Here’s what you do once you have iTunes installed (there’s a screen shot at the bottom of this post).
- open iTunes
- click on the podcasts item in the library on the upper left
- on the lower right, there’s a link to search the podcast directory. Click it
- you might need to log into the iTunes store. Do it
- once you’re in the store, you can search for lectures and subjects at the upper right.
- when you see something you like in the list, subscribe to it and the podcast will be automatically downloaded to your iTunes as often as you start the program.
Once the podcasts are in your iTunes library, you can sync them with your iPod, of course, and you can also play them right on your computer. Simply double-click the podcast title and you’re in business (you need speakers or a headset for the audio).
I searched for podcasts with ‘health’ in the title and got over 100 things returned! I searched for recipes and got 89 possible podcasts.
So give iTunes a spin; if you have it, check out the podcasts and, if you don’t, download it to your computer and check it out.
I think you’ll like it a lot.