Hi! It’s Friday and that means shortcuts (in case you’re just joining us, every Friday, I post shortcuts – for applications, hardware, operating systems…whatever).
These shortcuts work with both Internet Explorer and Firefox. Be sure to give them a try and use them! I promise at least one of these shortcuts will make your online life easier!
- press the space bar to get another screenfull in the browser. As you’re reading, you can scroll down with the mouse wheel, you can click on the window’s scroll bar, or just press the space bar and the screen will page down the exact amount necessary. Shift+spacebar scrolls up a screenfull. (pageup and page down do that too; the spacebar is a cool shortcut because many laptops don’t have dedicated pageup/down keys but all PCs have spacebars!).
- press ctrl+d to bookmark the current page
- press F5 to refresh the screen; ctrl+r refreshes the screen too.
- press alt+home (above the 4 arrows) to go to your home page.
- when you press F11, the browser goes to full screen with no menu or title bars. Press F11 again to go back to your standard window view. hint: when you’re in full screen mode, use the spacebar to move down and shift+spacebar to move up in the page.
- Ctrl+f lets you find something on the page (so does ctrl+g)
- Ctrl+b opens the bookmarks
- Ctrl+p opens the print dialogue box
There are other browser shortcuts; don’t be afraid to try these and experiment with the others you might find. If you have a favorite that I didn’t include, leave a comment here so others can see it too.