Hi! Today’s tip will show you how to easily expand a sequence range in Excel. If you want to fill a row or column with sequential numbers (1, 2, 3, etc., for example), here’s what you do:
- Type the starting number in the cell at the beginning of the range (example: type 1)
- Then type the next number in the next cell (example: type 2).
- Highlight the two cells with your mouse.
- Move your mouse to the lower right of the highlighted range until it turns to a plus sign.
- When it’s a plus sign, click and hold the mouse button and drag the mouse to the end of your sequence range; then release the mouse button.
- Excel will autofill the range with the correct sequence.
Look at the screen shot below — the first column shows the plus sign
The other columns show how it can work for numbers and days of the week in both ascending and descending order. It also works with months.
So no more typing line numbers or other exercises in tedium…just drag it out!